[Dxspider-support] [Cluster-tech] PC92 A

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Fri Nov 27 12:04:41 GMT 2009

Lee Sawkins wrote:
> Hi Dirk.
>
> I believe you are wrong about CLX and PC61.  I have been using PC61 for
> several years now.  We discussed this at one time.  The PC61 is used by
> CC Clusters to carry two digits after the decimal point for DX Spots.
> To change a PC61 to a PC11 is easy.  Just remove the IP address and move
> the hops and the "~" character over one position.  Round off the
> frequency.

Hmm.. I may be mis-remembering. CLX certainly did use a number of its
own PC sentences above 51 and I am pretty certain it used ranges in the
70's and 80's. I thought it also used some in the 60's as well...

But anyway, I see that I have code handling PC61 as spots and I don't
believe that you adding the IP addresses will break anything for any
DXSpider node from 1.50 upwards. So I suggest that you add the an IP
address field and start issuing them to DXSpider nodes as well as yours.
Currently I downgrade them to PC11 on output, but that could easily
change. And I would not let that stop you sending out your new PC61.

> I can give you some numbers.  Not exactly PC92A, but general PC92s.
>
> In the last 150 hours VE7CC-1 cluster has accepted the following unique
> data statements.
>
> DX Spots   27,780
> Announces     413
> PC92      196,950
> PC93        2,470

In the last day and a bit I have, on a node connected to just one other:

    8961 PC11
   27614 PC92a
   10933 PC92c
   22285 PC92d
   11187 PC92k

Which, of course, begs several questions:

Do we, nowadays, care as to whom is on, and to which node they are
connected?

I, personally, think it is vital that we (sysops/authors) can see which
node is connected where. But with flood routing of chat and, frankly,
not much talking going on anymore (and automatic flood routing of talk
if destination is not available in the routing table), I am inclining to
switch off (some of) the routing traffic - at least for users.

Having said that, I know that there are several sysops that want to be
able to help their users, much more than they currently can, when their
callsigns have been pirated. And adding IP addresses to spots isn't
enough by itself.