[Dxspider-support] password sysop

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Mon Nov 30 13:07:32 GMT 2009

PA4JJ wrote:
> Hello
>
> I do not understand the sysop password.
> I have set a password for my sysop call (pa4jj-9) on the local host
> using the cammand set/password pa4jj-9 xxxxxx
> When i do sysop on a remote PC I get the string with the figures on the
> screen.
> No matter what I answer to this I allways get the reply sorry.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I don't know. You should only be getting a set of numbers if you are
using the sysop command, but don't understand why you are doing this. If
you are connecting via telnet, and you have set a password, then the
node asks you for the password after you have entered your
callsign(-ssid if applicable).

At the point, if you are logged in with the sysop alias, then you should
  already have sysop status. That is the whole point of setting a
password in the first place. Normally, if you login remotely with no
password (because you have not set one), then you will just be a normal
user - even though you are logged in with the sysop alias.

You can check what status you are like this:

If you login remotely WITH a set/password):

G1TLH de GB7TLH 30-Nov-2009 1258Z dxspider >
stat/user
         Buddies:
        Callsign: G1TLH
Current Pagelth: 500
           Group: local
       Home Node: GB7DJK
        Home QTH: Graffham, West Sussex
        Language: en
   Last for/oper: 27-Jun-2008 0840Z
       Last Node: GB7TLH
    Last Time in: 30-Nov-2009 1257Z
        Latitude: 50 56 N
         Locator: IO90PW
       Longitude: 0 42 W
            Name: Dirk
Privilege Level: 9
        Req Beep: No
        Req Echo: No
    Show CQ Zone: No
   Show ITU Zone: No
   Show US State: No
    Type of User: U

If you are logged in as a normal user (i.e. remote login with NO password) :

G1TLH de GB7TLH 30-Nov-2009 1302Z dxspider >
stat/user
         Buddies:
        Callsign: G1TLH
Current Pagelth: 500
           Group: local
       Home Node: GB7DJK
        Home QTH: Graffham, West Sussex
        Language: en
       Last Node: GB7TLH
    Last Time in: 30-Nov-2009 1302Z
        Latitude: 50 56 N
         Locator: IO90PW
       Longitude: 0 42 W
            Name: Dirk
        Req Beep: No
        Req Echo: No
    Show CQ Zone: No
   Show ITU Zone: No
   Show US State: No
    Type of User: U

The difference is the privilege level. Full sysop privileges are
obtained with level 9.

Remember that if no password is set, then the only way to get into the
node with sysop privilege is either to use the Curses based console.pl
program or to login on localhost (127.0.0.1) as the sysop alias.

Dirk G1TLH