[Dxspider-support] Weird node issue that prevents user logins

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:59:38 BST 2009

Hello

I am seeing a strange issue on EI7SDX that arises very occasionally
causing it to not progress any user logins.

 from a user's perspective the login hangs at

$ telnet ei7sdx.ath.cx 7300
Trying 95.172.12.170...
Connected to ei7sdx.ath.cx.
Escape character is '^]'.

when I log into the cluster it appears to be running but I see when I run ps aux
hundreds of processes that look like this

sysop    27358  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    Oct01   0:00 [cp] <defunct>

they go back over several days but the issue only arose from a user's
perspective yesterday

the sysop console can't login either, restarting the cluster by killing
it's pid gets things going again but all the defunct processes remain
until after a reboot

the cluster is running on Centos 5.3 and is pretty much identical in
most ways to ei7mre except that ei7sdx has a web client running. Am i
seeing fallout from web client users not terminating sessions or
something ?

any ideas anyone ?

--
73