[Dxspider-support] user_asc creation issue

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 23:59:43 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 18:05 -0400, Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> Just a hunch but could it be the 64 bit OS? Do you REALLY need a 64 bit
> virtual machine for Spider?

Well my other node is working fine on the same base configuration, same
perl setup etc.
In any case I am limited to what the XEN hosting provider offers as it's
a XEN virtual server provided and auto-magically configured by a hosting
company, it's about as cheap as running it at home and the Internet
connectivity is far more reliable.
http://www.tagadab.com/

I have also, in the past run EI7MRE on an openVZ based container (64
bit) and on a vmware guest (32bit) (on our company's internet backbone)
with good results. Virtualising works great. on the vmware guest I even
ran an ax25 aware kernel and had a kiss attached tnc via a serial port

I have been using 64bit linux for a few years now, there are no issues
any more with running in 64bit, even for desktop linux. 64bit is the
obvious choice these days when dealing with machines with more than 4GB
of ram

73
Brendan

> Mike, W1NR
>
> Dirk Koopman G1TLH wrote:
> > This is a userfile corruption issue, which I have not experienced.
> > However it seems to be caused by some kind of duff data.
> >
> > Have you looked at the generated user_asc? There are probably some (a
> > lot) of repeated lines. You probably need to find the repeated
> > callsigns in the non-expanded user_asc, delete those, regenerate the
> > users.v3 file and see what happens.
> >
> > Dirk
> >
> > Or I go look...
> >
> > Brendan Minish wrote:
> >> hello
> >> i am helping to mind a dxspider cluster and i have an issue where
> >> user_asc grows to the point where it fills the entire hard disk
> >> (normally it's got around 6.5G free space available)
> >>
> >> The cluster is running on centos 5.3 64bit and the host machine is an
> >> XEN virtual machine
> >> Dxspider is running the latest build
> >> this cluster was moved from another machine, whihc was running an old
> >> version of slackware (32 bit)
> >> the move was done by git-pulling a new version, copying across the data
> >> and then running update_sysop.pl
> >>
> >> I have tried removing users.v3 and recreating the user database from an
> >> old (pre-migration ) copy of user_asc but the problem reoccurs.
> >> the problem persists, how do I resolve &/or debug this issue, preferably
> >> whilst preserving the user database largely intact ?
> >> the perl (&perl modules) and virtual machine configuration is identical
> >> to my own cluster (EI7MRE) which does not exhibit this issue

73
Brendan EI6IZ