[Dxspider-support] user_asc creation issue

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Mon Sep 21 11:52:36 BST 2009

A corrupt users.v3 basically. As to what causes that, we are looking at
the reliability (or otherwise) of Berkeley DB. I have had ongoing
problems with it since the beginning. Hence the provision of user_asc et al.

Usually the only way to deal with it is to take a working user_asc, have
a scan through it to see that it's OK and regenerate from that. Then
redo the export to check that it's still OK.

What I can say is that I have had some problems with the aftermath of
PC41s coming in from other software having interpreted "national
character sets" in their own individual way. It is conceivable that it
is this that is causing some of the these problems.

There is a big problem here because there is no standard. I could easily
enforce one, but the moment it drops that desperately wanted spot, I
will get it in the neck (again).

If it were up to me I would insist on UTF8 and have done with it.

Dirk G1TLH