[Dxspider-support] Ubuntu 9.04 - console.pl

Ron Gibson ve3cgr at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 26 13:59:44 BST 2009

After many years of service my old Mandrake box bit the dust so I
decided to build a new machine and use Ubuntu 9.04. Getting Spider
restored from a backup and running was quite simple. Over the past
couple of weeks I installed all the Ubuntu updates and installed a few
other applications. All was well until I had to reboot the system
yesterday. Spider runs just fine BUT now console.pl does not. Telnet
into it works fine. Logging into a tty on the actual machine and running
console.pl I see the screen clear and the bottom status line appear.
Then it exits back to the command prompt. Logging in via SSH and running
console.pl I don't get anything. It immediately exits back to the prompt.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might have broken? Since console.pl
worked just fine until I rebooted leads me to think it's a path or
environment variable. Removing and reinstalling curses had no effect.

73 de Ron
VE3CGR