[Dxspider-support] ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides db_file

N4DW - Dave n4dw at chartertn.net
Mon Apr 5 22:21:11 BST 2010

Last night I was attempting to set up a new DXSpider node on my main
machine after a near catastrophic failure on my 6+year old DXSpider
dedicated PC.  At this time, I'll not discuss the failure, only the new
installation.

Info:
XP Professional, SP3
Celeron 2.93ghz, 960mb ram
8 gig free space on a 20 gig hard drive
isp is Charter
Charter's Security Suite, by F-Secure
No internet access difficulties
I am not conversant in Perl

Following the instructions in the DXSpider wiki site,

http://wiki.dxcluster.org/index.php/Microsoft_Windows_Installation#Micro
soft_Windows_Installation

I was unable to locate ActivePerl v5.8.8  as recommended, but I did find
both v5.8.9/827 and v5.10.1/1007.

I installed Perl v5.8.9/827 with apparently no problem.

Yes, I rebooted.

C:\Perl>perl -v

Copyright 1987-2008, Larry Wall

Binary build 827 [291969] provided by ActiveState
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Jan 26 2010 21:15:51

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home
Page.

Adding the extensions went OK for "net-telnet" and "timedate", but when
attempting

Ppm install db_file

The following occurred:

C:\Perl>ppm install db_file
ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides db_file

After several hours of sleep I tried again with this result:

C:\Perl>ppm install db_file
Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provides db_file

Yes, somewhere in there I installed DXSpider, but cannot get it to run:

C:\Spider\perl>cluster.pl
Can't locate DB_File.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /spider/local
/spider/perl C:/Pe
rl/site/lib C:/Perl/lib .) at /spider/perl/Prefix.pm line 13.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/Prefix.pm line 13.
Compilation failed in require at /spider/perl/Filter.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/Filter.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at /spider/perl/DXChannel.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/DXChannel.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at C:\Spider\perl\cluster.pl line 64.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Spider\perl\cluster.pl line 64.

Has anyone else run into the failure of db_file to install and if so
were you able to resolve the issue?

What was the resolution?

Is there a resolution?

I saw where this identical problem was posted last October 13th, 2009,
but there didn't seem to be a resolution at that time.

Thanks & 73,
Dave
N4DW
Sysop @ N1HEJ