[Dxspider-support] ROS Mode

Ian Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Thu Jun 17 07:46:19 BST 2010

On 17 June 2010 07:02, Paolo L. Stradiotto R. <yv1dig at cantv.net> wrote:

> I agree that ROS spotting had bad spots (wrong calls) going thru the
> system.
>
> But, just remaind me why not the same bandwith [in the wrong list] (this
> should be on sys-op list) about the loggin programs in psk that spot each
> qso (easy to detect by name and address in each spot ) ?? wich will be the
> next ? Didn't saw yet any public note to a programmer asking for just put a
> button to let the operator choose if the he believe that his QSO should be
> spotted instead of a check somewhere to spot everything.
>
> It seems to me that the problem is not auto-spotting but the sheer amount
of it.  When a piece of software is appearing to spam the network, reactions
come quickly.  For example, what if someone took CW skimmer and simply
injected into the cluster network?  It would be chaos and could seriously
affect those clusters still running AK1A or having AX25 links.
I can see however that there may be reasons to do this sort of thing and
modern software makes it simple to create a cluster to do this sort of thing
whilst isolating from the network.  In normal use, auto-spotting can be a
useful aid to the casual operator.
As for the wrong list, you are quite correct.  This kind of discussion
should be using the sysops list.  I guess the same people would debate there
:)  I think the discussion on this list probably comes from old habits.  We
used to use this list in the early days to make sure that the then fledgling
dxspider was not causing issues across the network and to protect the AK1A
nodes etc whilst trying to improve the capabilities of the program.  The
guys who were there then have continued (like me) to use this list more than
the other and I guess we should be using the sysops list more.  This is for
dxspider support after all :)

73 Ian
--
Ian J Maude, G0VGS