[Dxspider-support] VK 4 digit suffixes

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:17:08 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 06:40 +0100, Ian Maude wrote:
> Sorry to bring this up again.  I have been running Dirks altered code
> to allow 4 letter VK suffixes for several months.  I know that you
> changed your mind on allowing them Dirk but as the world does not
> appear to have ended I wonder if you would change your mind and change
> it back?  Although the 4 letter suffixes are not formatted in the way
> we would wish, they are perfectly valid callsigns issued by authority.
> After the debates on allowing SWL's to use clusters I cannot see why
> this change cannot be made.

There is now a SWL cluster, BUT it's isolated from the rest of the
network.

> Until it is, I cannot upgrade as I have several users with the 4
> letter suffix.

The risk remains of unintended consequences where spots from these users
get passed onto nodes running other/older cluster software.
Indeed what do legacy versions of dxspider do about this situation?

if vk1abcd gets truncated to vk1abc anywhere then we have a real
problem.

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ