[Dxspider-support] Spider client issue

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Mon Jan 3 10:00:44 GMT 2011

On 01/01/11 19:24, f6bvp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just downloaded DxSpider from CVS and re installed it,
> for F6BVP-2 had been down for at least six weeks.
> I am running Mandriva 64 bits Linux distro with 2.6.36.2 kernel and
> ROSE/FPAC
> packet AX.25 switch node.
> Everything works great : receiving and sending Dx spots.
>
> The only issue is with client application.
>
> It says :
>
> Error on connect to localhost port 27754 (111)

This is almost certainly to do with how you have "localhost" defined in
your /etc/hosts. You need to separate out the IPV6 name from the IPV4
one - which is not how most modern linux distros do it. They try to hide
the difference.

I had:

127.0.0.1	localhost
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

which I changed to:

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

> despite I have declared spdlogin port 27754/tcp and /udp in
> /etc/services as requested
>
> Is this a known issue ?
> Looking at client source code, it seems rather outdated.

What you really mean is "old" :-)

Which means that I suppose I should make client.c IPV6 capable, but more
importantly, why are you using the client program for telnet
connections? If that is the way you are using it, it has been superseded
by the definition in Listeners.pm.

The only reason to use the client program is for incoming ax25 or other
more exotic, non IP based, connections.

> Happy new year to all DXers.

and HNY to you and everyone on the list from me.