[Dxspider-support] R: Re: Self Spotting

Robert Chalmas rcbza10 at hb9bza.net
Mon Jan 17 19:39:47 GMT 2011

This is a very controversial topic which was already discussed a few times on
this list.

Obviously, there is no chance we (and our users too) all agree on this.

On my side, I really hate "self spots", "friend spots", "my club spots", and
similar. I've been modifying the code of DXSpider for many years (starting
2003) to get rid of what I consider as a nuisance on my node HB9IAC-8. Not a
complex job, just 4 lines to add at the right place to the
/spider/perl/DXProtHandle.pm file (but to do again after each upgrade), and
all "self spots" disappear...not optimal, but the easiest to do...

Several other sysops asked me for this "forbidden" code, one of them being so
discouraged that he was seriously thinking about stopping his node if he could
find no solution to this problem.

I strongly encourage Dirk to add a switch which would enable each user to
choose if he wants to receive "self spots" or not, with a command like
(un)set/selfspots. This seems me a reasonable compromise which would for sure
be ethically better then a full censorship decided by the sysop alone.

73's

Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
Free DX-Cluster client RXCLUS:  http://www.hb9bza.net/rxclus