[Dxspider-support] ubuntu 11.04 server installation assistance

Michael A. Serowik maserowik at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 20:52:12 BST 2011

Sorry for being such a noob.

I am trying to get telnet to work I have followed the instruction

4.2 Setting up telnet connects (from 1.47 onwards) <http://www.dxcluster.org/main/installation_en.html#toc4.2>

>From version 1.47 you can choose to allow the perl cluster.pl program to allow connections directly (i.e. not via the /spider/src/client interface program). If you are using Windows then this is the only method available of allowing incoming telnet connections.

to make the change happen...

Having done that, you need to copy the file /spider/perl/Listeners.pm to /spider/local and then edit it. You will need to uncomment the line containing "0.0.0.0" and select the correct port to listen on.

It comes out of the box looking something like:-

@listen = (
#    ["0.0.0.0", 7300],
);

Change it so that it looks like this:-

@listen = (
    ["0.0.0.0", 7300],
);

Later versions have more comments in the Listeners.pm file that are designed to help you remove the correct '#' character.

As standard, the listener will listen on all interfaces simultaneously. If you require more control than this, you can specify each interface individually:-

@listen = (
    ["gb7baa.dxcluster.net", 7300],
    ["44.131.16.2", 6300],
);

This will only be successful if the IP addresses on each interface are static. If you are using some kind of dynamic IP addressing then the 'default' method is the only one that will work.

Restart the cluster.pl program to enable the listener.

One important difference with the internal listener is that no echoing is done by the cluster program. Users will need to set 'local-echo' on in their telnet clients if it isn't set automatically (as per the standards). Needless to say this will probably only apply to Windows users.

4.3 Allowing telnet connects from users (before version 1.47 or for special purposes) <http://www.dxcluster.org/main/installation_en.html#toc4.3>

>From version 1.47 there is a new (more efficient) way of doing this (see previous section) but, if you prefer, the method of doing it described here will continue to work just fine.

Allowing telnet connections is quite simple. Firstly you need to add a line in /etc/services to allow connections to a port number, like this ....

spdlogin   8000/tcp     # spider anonymous login port

Then add a line in /etc/inetd.conf like this ....

spdlogin stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /spider/src/client login telnet

Once this is done, you need to restart inetd like this ....

killall -HUP inetd

Now login as sysop and cd spider/src. You can test that spider is accepting telnet logins by issuing the following command ....

./client login telnet

You should get a login prompt and on issuing a callsign, you will be given access to the cluster. Note, you will not get a password login. There seems no good reason for a password prompt to be given so it is not asked for.

Assuming all is well, then try a telnet from your linux console ....

telnet localhost 8000

You should now get the login prompt and be able to login as before.

My file is as follows

#

# Copy this file to /spider/local and modify it to your requirements

#

#

# This file specifies which local interfaces and ports you will be

# listening on

#

# You can add as many as you like

#

package main;

use vars qw(@listen);

@listen = (

# remove the '#' character from the next line to enable the listener!

                   ["0.0.0.0", 7300],

# ^

# |

My local ip is 192.168.1.51 of the computer.

I have that address with port 7300 open on my router.

When I try to telnet to it, I get connection refused.

My public ip address is 108.32.32.47

Thanks

Mike