[Dxspider-support] CTY-2103 Country Files - 01 March 2011

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Wed Mar 2 06:49:45 GMT 2011

On 02/03/11 02:05, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Bob Nielsen<n7xy at clearwire.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> ~/spider$ git pull
>>> remote: Counting objects: 11, done.
>>> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
>>> remote: Total 6 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
>>> Unpacking objects: 100% (6/6), done.
>>>  From git://scm.dxcluster.org/scm/spider
>>>    7109670..171a936  master     ->  origin/master
>>>    7109670..171a936  spider     ->  origin/spider
>>> Updating 7109670..171a936
>>> error: Entry 'data/cty.dat' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
>>
>> Remove the old dat/cty.dat then "git pull" again.
>
> Thanks.  I also had to remove data/prefix_data.pl and then it worked.

The 'official' way when using git whenever one sees these errors is:

git reset --hard

The errors mean that you have modified the local versions, in this case,
of cty.dat and then run create_prefix.pl locally as well. This has also
modified data/prefix_data.pl.

Git picks this up and, because you have not checked it in (with git)
locally, you get moaned at when you try, as git sees it, to overwrite
your 'work'.

The git reset --hard resets the stuff under git control back to the last
version that you pulled, the next git pull will then work without
moaning because the data is (now) no different to what it is expecting.

Whilst removing the offending files will work in this case, it will have
some counter intuitive side effects in others so, to repeat myself:

If one sees errors on "git pull" do:

git reset --hard

and try again.

Dirk G1TLH