[Dxspider-support] Skimmers

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 21 18:35:00 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan Minish" <ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com>
To: "The DXSpider Support list" <dxspider-support at dxcluster.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Dxspider-support] Skimmers

> On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 10:41 +0000, gu6efb wrote:
>> Hi Group

 > I am not seeing skimmer spots from either station on the regular network
> at present, Just S&P spots.
> W3LPL is submitting spots to RBN currently at the rate of several per
> minute, as are the other connected skimmers

W3LPL is stripping the -# and other skimmer data from selected skimmer spots
and posting these to the regular network.  Just as you can't tell, there is
no way to detect that these are actually skimmer spots.

>> I know that CC Cluster has a NO Skimmer command is this something that
>> we now need in Dx Spider?

This only works for skimmer spots that are leaving in the -# after the call.
W3LPL spots still get through.

> VE7CC IS collecting skimmer spots from some skimmers directly, He did
> ask me for a connection to my skimmer but at present I don't allow
> inbound connections to it, I simply push a connection out to the RBN.
> I also think the needs of the DX community are better served by a single
> system or network handling skimmer spots rather than disparate systems
> each carrying only a portion of the shared skimmers.

This is for redundancy.  When the RBN fails, which it has done several
times, I would have no skimmer spots at all when it goes down if I didn't
have a backup plan.

Lee VE7CC