[Dxspider-support] cluster.pl requires root

Bob Nielsen n7xy at clearwire.net
Thu Apr 26 01:41:13 BST 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Dirk Koopman G1TLH wrote:

> It's all a bit philosophical...
>
> As far as I remember, I never suggested having a 'spider' group, but there are circumstances where it might be useful. But for your average (or even quite unusual) user, the standard linux LSB action of using the same name for both group and user is by far the best thing to do.
>
> In fact, I would go so far as to suggest there are probably only a couple of sysops that need to consider using a different group name to user name. One of them is me. And then only on a couple of nodes of the four that I have anything to do with (one of which is on my development machine and only appears when I testing something from there).
>
> Also I don't control the wiki. Anyone that is registered can change the text.
>
> Dirk

OK.  I reread the comments and found this:

The next step is to set the permissions on the Spider directory tree and files ....

"     # chown -R sysop.spider spider
     # find . -type d -exec chmod 2775 {} \;
     # find . -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;

This last step allows various users of the group 'spider' to have write access to all the directories. This is not really needed just yet but will be useful when web interfaces start to appear."

The use of the 'spider' group was probably added to the wiki after I did my last installation and I had missed it.

Things should work with either sysop or spider so I reverted the wiki to the earlier wording.

I don't know what, if any web interfaces are planned (I ssh into my headless Seagate Dockstar, running the ARM version of Debian 6) and have no need to use one.

Sorry if I created any confusion.

73,
Bob (DXSpider sysop since 2000)
_____
N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300