[Dxspider-support] MRTG help needed

Ronald Jochems pd1acf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:05:56 GMT 2012

Hi All,

I try to maintain a dx-cluster for a busy fellow ham J

Things seem to be running fine, except for the MRTG graphs.

History of this story is a hardware/Linux upgrade we performed some time
ago, and i only recently discovered that the mrtg graphs were not working
anymore. Digging around seems to not have resolved my problem yet.

I followed this tutorial :
http://www.feerc.obninsk.org/rw3xa/dxc/adminmanual_en-8.html and
compiled/installed latest mrtg(2.17.3) succesfully.

What i have noticed is, that the directory /home/sysop/spider/mrtg/  needs
to be existing and that the command 'mrtg all' from the cluster-console
depends on a executable here. This seems not described in the document. I
have copied the orginal/new-build mrtg-2 files in here (from
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin).

As far as i can see:

-           i have a succesfull cron (spider cron)  executing the 'mrtg all'
command each 5 minutes.

The directory /home/sysop/spider/mrtg/ is filled with some small files
containing numbers/text. I expect these are a prerequisite for the graphs.

-          Webserver is configured correctly :
http://pi8dxc.dyndns.org/mrtg/stats.html

However, i do not get the 'png' pictures created for some reason. Can
somebody point me to a point in further debugging/fixing this ?

I must be overlooking something ?

Many thanks,

Ron