[Dxspider-support] User Disconnects when Script Runs

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at verizon.net
Fri Mar 30 13:48:23 BST 2012

Many of our users construct spot filters using the "by_state" feature.  To keep
the state data current, a crontab entry runs a script each Wednesday at
0130Z to fetch the data and load it.  The problem is that each Wednesday at
0130Z all the users are disconnected.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what we can do to eliminate these annoying
disconnects would be most appreciated.

Thanks and 73 - Dave N3RD
Associate Sysop - K3WW DXSpider

More info:

1.  If the script is run manually by the sysop, the disconnects do not occur.

2.  The update script has not changed in a long time, but these user
disconnects started to occur after a fairly recent update of Spider.  It took us
a while to figure out what was going on.  We prefer to stay current with
Spider.

3.  DXSpider V1.55 build 0.102

4.  Linux info (Fedora Core 7):

[root at spider-linux ~]# uname -a
Linux spider-linux 2.6.22.5-76.k3wwspider7.fc7 #1 SMP Mon Sep 17
17:17:26 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at spider-linux ~]#

5.  This is the script that is run by crontab to update the usdb database:

[root at spider-linux /spider/local_cmd]# cat get-usdbraw.sh
#! /bin/sh
#
cd /tmp
rm -f usdbraw*
date >> /spider/local_cmd/wget-usdbraw-log
until wget  "http://ftp.w1nr.net/usdbraw.gz"; do date >>
/spider/local_cmd/wget-usdbraw-log; done
rm -f /spider/data/usdb.v1
cd /spider/perl
perl create_usdb.pl /tmp/usdbraw.gz
cd ../data