[Dxspider-support] DX Spider on Suse 12.1

KL5E kl5e at gci.net
Fri May 11 23:45:33 BST 2012

My older Suse 11.x system died after a power outage last week.  So I took
the opportunity to install Suse 12.1 and the latest version of DX Spider.
Here are some of the things I needed to do.

1.       Installed Time/Date from the Suse s/w distribution

2.       Installed TimeHiRes from CPAN, this requires gcc

3.       Installed gcc from the Suse s/w distribution

4.       Installed Curses from the Suse s/w distribution

5.       Installed Net-Telnet-3.03 from CPAN

6.       Installed Digest-SHA-5.71  (cannot find 2.01 as per Instructions)

7.       Make the client program in /src

8.       Run create_sysop.pl from /perl

9.       Run create_prefix.pl from /perl after downloading latest cty file.

Restore /connect  /local and /local_cmd as from the old version.  I did not
backup the old data and logs.

I believe the Suse clock is set to automatically update but I'm not entirely
certain.  It seems to be keeping accurate time so far.

I'm sure I did other things to get it up and running but that's all I
remember right now.

So, KL7G.ORG port 8000 is alive once more.

Bob (kl5e at arrl.net)