[Dxspider-support] DX Spider on Suse 12.1

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Sat May 12 12:06:17 BST 2012

On 12/05/12 02:07, Tom Vavra wrote:
> get the WPXLOC.RAW file when you get the current CTY.DAT

See below...

> On Friday 11 May 2012 22:45, KL5E wrote:
>> My older Suse 11.x system died after a power outage last week.  So I took
>> the opportunity to install Suse 12.1 and the latest version of DX Spider.
>> Here are some of the things I needed to do.
>>

>> 1.       Installed Time/Date from the Suse s/w distribution
>>
>> 2.       Installed TimeHiRes from CPAN, this requires gcc

Er.. this is a standard part of perl and has been for several years. You
should not have to do this (at least not from CPAN).

>> 3.       Installed gcc from the Suse s/w distribution

So this should not be necessary, unless you need to compile up the C
client because you are expecting incoming ax25 connections.

>> 4.       Installed Curses from the Suse s/w distribution

Most modern distros have a perl Curses package available.

>> 5.       Installed Net-Telnet-3.03 from CPAN

The latest package from SUSE is fine.

>> 6.       Installed Digest-SHA-5.71  (cannot find 2.01 as per Instructions)

The latest package is always fine.

>> 7.       Make the client program in /src
>>
>> 8.       Run create_sysop.pl from /perl
>>
>> 9.       Run create_prefix.pl from /perl after downloading latest cty file.

The latest DXSpider tarball is AFAIK up to date with all that is
required to run create_prefix.pl (and that includes the latest
wpxloc.raw and cty.dat). It should not be necessary to run
create_prefix.pl on a new installation using the data that is there. I
run it for you (in effect) as part of the standard distro.

I would much rather people updated their whole DXSpider installation
(preferably using git or even CVS) than copying a new cty.dat and
worrying about whether they need an updated wpxloc.raw or not.

>> Restore /connect  /local and /local_cmd as from the old version.  I did not
>> backup the old data and logs.
>>

>> I believe the Suse clock is set to automatically update but I'm not
>> entirely certain.  It seems to be keeping accurate time so far.

You can check this by opening a shell and running 'ntpdc'. You will see
something like this:

$ ntpdc
ntpdc> sysinfo
system peer:          europium.canonical.com
system peer mode:     client
leap indicator:       00
stratum:              3
precision:            -22
root distance:        0.04112 s
root dispersion:      0.05563 s
reference ID:         [91.189.94.4]
reference time:       d358bd39.a0d5fa76  Sat, May 12 2012 11:43:05.628
system flags:         auth monitor ntp kernel stats
jitter:               0.000870 s
stability:            0.000 ppm
broadcastdelay:       0.000000 s
authdelay:            0.000000 s
ntpdc>

If you see a reasonable system peer name and a stratum of less than say
7, then your time is synchronised.

Dirk G1TLH