[Dxspider-support] R: SSIDs max value

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:39:57 BST 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 18:59 +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On 03/10/12 18:09, IZ5FSA at gmail wrote:
> > dxspider is *not* an internet-only dx packet cluster node.
> > packet radio stations still exist.
> > why do not manage ax25 SSID limits?
> >

> This seems to have been the consensus whenever this subject has come up
> in the past. That is why I enforce the AX25 limits

I would agree with Dirk on this.
I can't see a compelling use case for SSID's larger than -15 and at
least we know that all the diverse clusters nodes, cruft, etc connected
to the network will behave as it currently does with AX25 permitted
SSID's

There is a risk that allowing extended SSID's might have unintended
consequences somewhere else on the network if it arrives at something
that can't correctly deal with extended ssid's .

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ