[Dxspider-support] DXSpider at a hosting provider?

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:24:44 BST 2012

EI7MRE runs on a virtual server in London

but in the past I have run it on a Virtual server in the US (slicehost
as I recall).

basically with XEN or KVM based virtual server you have full root access
to a linux box running the distribution of your choice

Start-up scripts etc work as expected and it's been reliable.
Cost-wise it's on par with paying for the electricity to run an older
machine at home to provide a DXCluster

I am using tagadab in the UK
http://www.tagadab.com/
I use their VS250 package to run ei7mre and host a few other small
services, they have been pretty reliable and on the rare occasions when
there have been issues they have always responded to me quickly with
honest answers

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 17:14 +0200, Ton Machielsen wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I am thinking about running my node on a server at a hosting provider.
> Is anyone doing that? What kind of hosting plans to you use for that?
> Shared hosting usually doesn't allow for installation of custom
> software or Perl modules. Virtual hosting or dedicated hosting does,
> but what do you do with console access? As far as i understand
> DXSpider requires access to a TTY, is that correct?
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ton.

73