[Dxspider-support] Traffic window and pi4tue-8

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Nov 21 16:36:59 GMT 2013

I am not completely understand why one needs to look at a console
(specifically). I run cluster.pl >/dev/null 2>&1 so there is no console
output at all.

There is a specific program called /spider/perl/watchdbg which will
"tail" the current debug file, as well as translate the timestamp into
something more human friendly. This is IMO better than looking at a
console (and faffing about finding a spare one that X isn't using, or
has a virtual terminal running on it, chown / chmoding it etc etc).

This also has the advantage that one can ssh to the box and just run it.

This is in the setup manual somewhere but I always do this (as root)
just after an install:

ln -s /spider/perl/console.pl /usr/bin/dx
ln -s /spider/perl/*dbg /usr/bin

This means that one can ssh or login, type 'dx' and get a user console.
Also the useful programs: watchdbg and grepdbg are easily available.

Dirk