[Dxspider-support] 2 problems witn a fresh install on Fedora 19

Alan D. Snyder kf3b at ptd.net
Wed Oct 2 22:34:03 BST 2013

Dirk

I installed a fresh spider on Fedora 19 and ported some user specific
data from our older Fedora (FC6?) .  All works very well in the new
installation except for two problems,

First - all traffic are logged BOTH in /spidr/data/debug/2013/day    AND
ALSO appended to /var/log/messages

Spider is launched as shown below in the 'ps' command output

[root at spider spider]# ps axfj | grep  cluster
     1   843   843   838 ?           -1 S        0   0:00 sudo -u
spideradmin -b /spider/perl/cluster.pl > /dev/tty7
   843   844   843   838 ?           -1 S      501   0:44  \_
/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl > /dev/tty7
[root at spider spider]#

have also tried > /dev/null
and
 > /dev/null 2>&1
but same results, appending entries to /var/log/messages as well as
writing the /data/debug files ....

how can I prevent /var/log/messages from having spot traffic appended?

Second problem -  In earlier Fedora, we had a perfectly functional AX25
addon.  With the new Fedora 19, I cannot make AX25 work. Copying over
/etc/ax25/* which used to work no longer works. Rewrote our
/etc/init.d/ax25 launcher but no joy there.  Seems like nothing works.
Have you heard of this problem?  How do you recommend I isolate exactly
what's failing.

The node supports 100+ users during contests and more than 40 users
routinely.  The new box is a serious i5 on an Intel MOBO with
appropriate add on kit.

Thank you, as always ....

Alan KF3B