[Dxspider-support] Need Help with Fedora and AX25

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at verizon.net
Tue Oct 15 00:48:04 BST 2013

We have a DX Spider cluster in the Philadelphia area, which formerly had a
2m user input.  A new computer and a Linux upgrade has resulted in the 2m
input no longer working.  Alan, KF3B, has been troubleshooting the problem,
and needs some assistance in getting it working again.  If you have any
suggestions, please contact Alan directly at kf3b at ptd dot net.  Here is the
background from Alan:

I installed a fresh spider on Fedora 19 and ported some user specific data from our
older Fedora (FC16) . All works very well in the new installation except for two
problems,

First - all traffic are logged BOTH in /spidr/data/debug/2013/day AND ALSO
appended to /var/log/messages

Spider is launched as shown below in 'ps' command output

[root at spider spider]# ps axfj | grep cluster
1 843 843 838 ? -1 S 0 0:00 sudo -u spideradmin -b
/spider/perl/cluster.pl > /dev/tty7
843 844 843 838 ? -1 S 501 0:44 \_ /usr/bin/perl -w
/spider/perl/cluster.pl > /dev/tty7
[root at spider spider]#

Have also tried > /dev/null
and
> /dev/null 2>&1
but same results, appending entries to /var/log/messages as well as writing the
/data/debug files ....

How can I prevent /var/log/messages from having spot traffic appended? We don't
need or want system logging, only logging local to spider.

Second problem - In earlier Fedora, we had a perfectly functional AX25. With the
Fedora 19, I cannot make AX25 work. Copying over /etc/ax25/* which used to work
no longer works. Rewrote our /etc/init.d/ax25 launcher but no joy there. Seems like
nothing works. Have you heard of this problem? How do you recommend I isolate
exactly what's failing.

The node supports 100+ users during contests and more than 40 users routinely. The
new box is a serious i5 on an Intel MOBO with appropriate add on kit.

I'd like some hints on how to troubleshot AX25, step by step. I don't want to reinvent
the wheel. There must be some Linux tools that are generally useful for this task.

For example, how do I know that the TNC is connected well to the system? We have
tested the TNC connection with terminal emulator (putty) and it looks good.

In Linux, 'kissattach' provides a connection from TNC to ethernet which then is
handled by 'ax25d' that in turn connects to a program in spider called 'client'. I'd like
to be able to "snoop" on these connections to make sure everyone is doing what he
should be doing,

Everything looks like it should be working, but we don't have a 2 meter connection
yet. Also, Chas and I have put in a huge amount of time. Outside advice from good
Linux/AX25 people would be very helpful and much appreciated.