[Dxspider-support] DXSpider on CuBox-i

Bill Shell n6ws at n6ws.com
Thu Dec 25 03:04:50 GMT 2014

All,

I have been running my N6WS-2 DXSpider node for the past 1-1/2 years on
a Raspberry Pi.  During contest weekend the system resources would be
severely taxed.  Running simple queries for specific DX stations would
take longer than I would like.  In fact, some searches would not be seen
on a normal screen because they would be displayed followed by 20-30
normal spots which would scroll the query result off the top of the
screen.  This was particularly true if you opened all filters and
displayed normal spots and RBN spots.

I had a CuBox-i4Pro I was using as a media center, and decided to try it
as a replacement for the Raspberry Pi.  The CuBox-i4Pro has a 4-core
1GHz processor and 2GB of RAM versus the single core 700MHz processor
and 512KB in the Raspberry Pi.

I have drafted a set of installation instructions for the CuBox-i that
are adapted from the Raspberry Pi instructions on my http://www.n6ws.com
website.  The instructions can also be directly accesses using the:
link http://goo.gl/IttBOH
Since this is a draft set of instructions, please provide any feedback
on any corrections necessary or desired.

The N6WS-2 node is accessible at:
telnet://n6ws.no-ip.org:7302
Please try it, and let me know if you feel the performance is adequate.

TU, 73, & Happy Holidays,
Bill
N6WS