[Dxspider-support] updating with GIT

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 17:01:14 GMT 2014

Because it removes any inadvertent changes to any files that are in
version control (it doesn't alter any other files).

I don't always update cty.dat in a timely fashion and some sysops don't
want to update the software, but DO want the latest prefixes. So these
sysops just update cty.dat and wpxloc.raw and run create_prefix.pl manually.

If, sometime in the future, they try a git pull, it will moan and groan
about all the "local changes" and fail. Doing the 'git reset --hard'
undoes those prefix changes and the git pull will then succeed.

I really must get around to moving stuff about so that there is a
"local_data" directory, in the same way as there are "local" and
"local_cmd" directories. The problem with this is that I suspect that
there will be things that could break in some nodes that have used the
opensource nature of the code and done their own thing - expecting stuff
to be where it has always been.

Dirk

On 25/11/14 16:13, Fabrizio Alberti wrote:
> Why you also the git reset command too?
>
> Inviato da cellulare
>
> Il 25/nov/2014 17:10 "Dirk Koopman" <djk at tobit.co.uk
> <mailto:djk at tobit.co.uk>> ha scritto:
>
>     Mike & Fabrizio
>
>     I agree that it is probably not a good idea to have an automatic
>     update as source control can go wrong, particularly if one ever does
>     any mods or updates the prefix list manually.
>
>     But if I were doing it, bearing in mind that I don't use a httpd
>     interface nor copy my spots into a database, and that also I don't
>     do any (unofficial [cough] :-) mods, then this line of cron may help
>     you:
>
>     13 3 * * 2 cd /spider; git reset --hard; git pull; service dxspider
>     restart

<snip>