[Dxspider-support] Comments please

Michael G. Carper mike at wa9pie.net
Sat Oct 25 22:37:30 BST 2014

Well, in case some folks missed the rest of the story (which I posted to
this forum; and then closed, now that the mystery is solved), here's the
deal...

I have found that the reason why the heading and distance are wrong when
connected to the clusters in question (GB7MBC and HB9DRV-9) is because the
spot string contains an incorrect grid - JO21. According to
http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html, the JO21 grid is somewhere near Anhem,
Netherlands. That being the case, HRD Logbook correctly calculated the
heading and distance to an inaccurate grid for ZD7FT.

Using the command "show/station zd7ft" on the following nodes rendered the
following responses:

<- sh/station zd7ft
*** User record for ZD7FT not found ***
WA9PIE-2>

<- sh/station zd7ft
User : ZD7FT
Name : Ron
QTH : Valkenswaard
Location : 51 21 N 5 28 E (JO21RI)
Heading : 40 Deg. 4938 Mi. 7947 Km.
Home Node : PI5EHV-8
GB7MBC> (same is true for HB9DRV-9)

Well, I don't know who Ron in Valkenswaard is, but he connected to PI5EHV-8
with the callsign ZD7FT and saved the coordinates for Valkenswaard as the
coordinates for ZD7FT in that station's Location.

At no time did I insinuate or even assume that there was a problem with
cluster software.  I assumed - from the beginning - that there may be a
problem with HRD (almost everyone assumes that anyway).  But after
researching it all, there's no problem with anyone's software.  In the end:

- GB7MBC has incorrect location information for ZD7FT, but HRD Logbook
correctly calculated the heading and distance to the wrong grid as provided
- HB9DRV-9 has incorrect location information for ZD7FT, but HRD Logbook
correctly calculated the heading and distance to the wrong grid as provided
- WA9PIE-2 is had no grid for ZD7FT; thus, HRD Logbook correctly calculated
the heading and distance to the country (St. Helena)
- VE7CC-1 has the correct grid (IH74);  thus, HRD Logbook correctly
calculated the heading and distance to the grid (IH74)

Happy DXing.

Mike, WA9PIE