[Dxspider-support] Node_default spot filtering

Martin Davies G0HDB g0hdb at amdavies.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 11:31:42 BST 2015

On 2 Aug 2015 at 23:58, djk wrote:

> One of the rather confusing things about filters is that one can have
> 'input' and 'output' filters. The default is 'output'. This means that
> the filter operates on spots emanating 'out' of the node - i.e. to the
> users or connected nodes. The reason this is the default is that the
> user is only interesting in stuff coming 'out' of the node to him/her.
> The 'input' filter will work for the user as well, but it will filter
> the dx spots that are being sent - an unlikely scenario.
>
> But for nodes, you have two options:
>
> 1. You can accept all spots and then provide a user_default filter that
> does what you want, but allows the user to override it.
>
> 2. You can filter the spots on input (i.e. rej/spot node_default input
> ...) which will drop those spots on the floor *on input* with no
> override possible by a user. The more elegant way requires a bit of
> lateral thinking: your node is effectively a user on the peer node that
> you are connected to. So you can set your required filter *on your peer
> node* with a simple 'rcmd gb7xxx reject/spot ...' and that will prevent
> any those spots arriving onto your node in the first place.
>
> Also if I read what you want to filter correctly you actually want:
>
> reject/spot node_default on hf and by_zone 14,15
>
> or
>
> rcmd gb7xxx reject/spot on hf and by_zone 14,15
>
> Which will reject all hf spots coming from zone 14/15.

Many thanks Dirk, you'll given me exactly the hint I needed to get the input filter working on
GB7DXC-5 - the secret is in the word "input"!

I was trying to set an input filter on the 'DXC-5 node to "drop on the floor" all spots that don't
come from zones 14 & 15, ie. all spots from the rest of the world other than from western EU,
but I hadn't appreciated that it was necessary to include the word "input" in the filter string.

I've now implemented the following on 'DXC-5:

	rej/spot node_default INPUT on hf and NOT by_zone 14,15

and this seems to be doing exactly what I wanted - when I'm logged in to the sysop console
on 'DXC-5 I only see spots that have been generated by stations in western EU.

It's very helpful to have this sorted out because it will also help me to set a filter on GB7BAA
for its feed to the existing AK1A-based GB7DXC node that I'm keeping running for the time
being - I occasionally, eg. during periods of heavy contest activity, use 'rcmd/GB7BAA' to set
a filter on what spots get fed to 'DXC.

--
73, Martin G0HDB

---