[Dxspider-support] Show/DX callsign command does not work

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 15:20:50 GMT 2015

On 12/02/15 14:38, IZ8MBW Fabio wrote:
> It seem it's OK:
>
> # this really does need to change for your system!!!!
> # use CAPITAL LETTERS
> $mycall = "IZ8MBW-6";
>
> # your name
> $myname = "Fabio";
>
> # Your 'normal' callsign (in CAPTTAL LETTERS)
> $myalias = "IZ8MBW";
>
> 73
> Fabio, IZ8MBW
> www.iz8mbw.net

Which way round one has one's callsigns shouldn't matter. WR3D (for
instance) has his callsigns the other way around and has been working
for a *very* long time.

The first thing I would be looking at is file / directory permissions,
and whether, in fact, there are any lines in any of the spot files.

I seem to recall that you are using a Raspberry PI. If so, this also
rings alarm bells because it may be that the sdcard has had its lock
(accidently) slid on (very easy to do) or that the sdcard is a standard
cheap one that does not have a very good endurance. This is an
increasing problem with all the small SBCs (RPi or BB Black) that one
could use for this purpose. Basically, unless you are using an sdcard
like this:

   https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/accessories/SD-Cards/Endurance

cards fail surprisingly quickly because they are designed for using in
things like cameras that don't have the constant writing that occurs
when one is running a program like DXSpider on an operating system like
linux. Some other manufacturers make cards that seem to last longer e.g
Transcend, Fuji etc. But it still is very much pot luck as to how long a
card will last.

Dirk G1TLH