[Dxspider-support] Windows telnet help

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 12:42:05 BST 2016

Srdjan

The short answer might be "don't use Windows" coupled with "don't
connect an old and unsupported operating system that is known to be full
of holes to the internet".

But if you insist on using WIndows XP, here are some questions:

1. Is your node on the "inside" leg of a NATing router (probably with a
192.168.x.y address)? From your description and the use of ddns.net I
would guess the answer is yes.
2. Have you created a "pinhole" or reverse NAT entry in router so that
user can connect to port 7300 on the outside of your router and then
have the router connect to your node?

And a statement:

As an author, I *STRONGLY* discourage the use of port 23. You should be
aware of the security implications of running software on ports below
1024: it means that the software must run with root or Administrator
privileges (hence the error messages on startup). Telnet is not just a
program, but it also has a protocol associated with it when it connects
to the "telnet" port of 23. DXSpider does not support that protocol,
even though using port 23 will probably work apart from some spurious
binary characters that may appear on login.

I think you will find that the problem is with the setup of your router
and and not your provider. Furthermore that probably means that your
router is accepting connections from the internet on port 23, which is a
security risk all by itself.

73 Dirk G1TLH