[Dxspider-support] Does updating DXSpider over-write pre-existing CTY files?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 19:39:36 BST 2016

It depends on how old the git repository is when you do the update. If
you update at or near a change to the repository then, generally, it
will have the latest version of cty.dat. On the other hand if you update
cty religiously, but git pull only occasionally, then there will be a
reset to a previous version. But then, if you are updating cty
religiously, that will right itself fairly soon.

Bear in mind that I use cty data for country and maybe state information
for those stations on the cluster that haven't set their lat/long. This
is used for things like beam heading etc, not QSL, contesting or other
more detailed uses - so I don't believe that an absolutely up to date
cty is going to be critical. Also, while cty has some specific info on
individual callsigns of interest, these are pruned regularly and so it
may be that the historical record contained in the spots can't be
matched up with the current cty data. Indeed there are countries and/or
in my spot records going back  to 1997 that don't exist any more.

Dirk