[Dxspider-support] Build Questions

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 22:21:44 GMT 2016

I think I need to be clearer, if only to make sure that you are not
doing something non-standard.

When you create a user called 'sysop' in a standard way, you will get a
home directory called /home/sysop.

If you then create a subdirectory in your home directory it will be
called /home/sysop/spider. The program will (as standard) expect its
directory structure to be in /spider. To achieve that (as standard) you
need to do:

ln -sf ~/spider /

which is shorthand for

ln -sf /home/sysop/spider /spider

If you have already created /spider then the 'f' in '-sf' will overwrite
any existing symbolic link. Otherwise you will have to remove the
/spider link manually beforehand.

This (rather arcane) way of doing things is an attempt to make
reasonably certain that the ownership and permissions of the files in
the tree are correct enough to run without permission problems that will
fixing later. Otherwise I would just have suggested that one unpacks the
archive in / and then alter the ownership and permissions manually after
having thus creatiing the '/spider' tree as a directory directly. I
thought that this would be fraught with problems so I created this way
of working.

Version 2 of the code (which I am working on - slowly - will probably
have an installation script when it becomes the 'standard' version.

Dirk

BTW Version 2 of the code is available (and stable) for the adventurous
linux/unix sysop. Visually, it doesn't do anything very much
differently, but it uses faaaaar less processor and won't hang when
doing long lived things like 'sh/dx <some obscure call>' or calling
external sites like 'sh/425'. If you want to give it a try email me for
details. If you are interested, look at http://www.gb7mbc.net/mrtg/ to
the see what I mean about (lack of) processor usage. The canonical site
(GB7DJK) has been using this for more than two years.