[Dxspider-support] SOLVED - Increasing size of scrollback buffer in sysop console

Martin Davies G0HDB g0hdb at amdavies.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 20:07:20 GMT 2016

On 30 Dec 2015 at 22:26, djk wrote:

> I am using the standard putty, I have no idea which version. But the
> difference probably is the putty config setting that you are using. I
> would try just using the default values and then maximising the window.
> This will let putty hopefully do the "right thing" [tm]. The point is
> that a window on the *nix box has some environment variables set on it
> to describe the lines and columns of the window. These *should* change
> (or rather *be* changed) by the thing that is controlling the window (in
> this case putty). This allows any program running in that window to
> discover and then track the underlying size changes imposed by the user.
>
> On mine (putty on WinXP), changing the size of the window seems to be
> tracked correctly whether I am running console.pl or not. So, if
> console.pl is running, changing the size of the window will expand and
> contract the console.pl window. This can be seen by watching the two
> numbers (lines and cols respectively) to the left of the time on the
> divider line between the keyboard and the display section. They should
> correspond to the actual values of the window. If they don't then "it
> will never work".
>
> Making sure that the divider line's "shape" remains correct on changing
> the size of the window would be the next thing to look at.

Hello, firstly a Happy New Year to everyone.

I'm pleased, and somewhat embarassed, to report that my apparent problem with scrollback
when accessing the sysop console using PuTTY has been solved - the cause was 'operator
error' (or stupidity - take your pick!).

I was trying to scroll back through the lines in the sysop console buffer, whose size is set by
the '$maxshist' variable, using the mousewheel and was finding that this didn't work; it then
occurred to me earlier today that maybe I should try the Page Up key on the keyboard and, of
course, lo and behold it worked perfectly and exactly as intended.

I guess I've become so accustomed to being able to scroll up and down through documents
etc using the mousewheel that it never occurred to me until today that perhaps this mightn't
work when running a terminal program such as PuTTY.

I've now set the '$maxshist' variable in my local instance of Console.pm to be 2000 which is
the same as the default size of the PuTTY scrollback buffer and all seems to be well as long
as I remember to use the Page Up and Page Down keys when I want to look back at
previous spots or whatever...  :-)

Many thanks are due to Dirk for his assistance with my 'problem' and also for the advice and
practical help he's given me outside this list with the configuration of the GB7DXC-5 node -
his efforts are much appreciated.

--
73, Martin G0HDB

---