[Dxspider-support] Problems connecting to multiple nodes as fallback

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:12:13 GMT 2016

I should amplify that a bit. It's Monday morning and I am feeling
grumpy, so I was unnecessarily rude.

You should always do a test login with your node callsign. That will
tell you two things:

1. You are connecting to AE5E, not W1AAA, so rename your connect file
and the need for the client line goes away.
2. AE5E thinks you are a user, not a node.

Documentation that relies on user updates is notoriously unreliable.
Just because you may have seen something on the internet that implies
that dxspot.com is (or probably was) W1AAA, doesn't mean it still is.
In fact the dxspots.com website says it is AE5E. So ALWAYS check with a
trial connect using telnet first.

If the name of the connect script is the same as the callsign of the
node, then you don't need (or want) the 'client' line. It is really only
still available for backward compatibility and for some very exceptional
or testing purposes that, probably, I would be the only one interested in.

Dirk