[Dxspider-support] K4UGA to shut down

Bill Strickland strick at uga.edu
Tue Aug 15 02:07:23 BST 2017

After 22 years, the K4UGA DX packet cluster will permanently close down on Sept 1st.  Given the current state of cybersecurity, our host will no longer permit server connections to/from the "outside world" that are not mission critical.  I apologize to my link partners and regular users for the short notice.

I'm grateful to Dirk Koopman, G1TLH, for providing the excellent DXSpider software and support for all these years.  After struggling with other software in the early days, I

greatly
appreciate his
programming expertise and that of the others who have contributed to the effort.  DXSpider has reliably handled close to 500 users on some contest weekends.

And thanks to
Bob Furzer, K4CY,
who
designated K4UGA as the default telnet packet cluster in his popular
Logger32
Ham Radio logging program.  That made me "up my Linux game" in order to keep the cluster banging away - which turned out to be a good thing.  Extra points for a wicked sense of humor.

I appreciate the friends I've made
through the cluster
over the years and I hope K4UGA
has