[Dxspider-support] RBN

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 11:42:05 GMT 2017

<tin hat>
Over the New Year holidays I have been poking around the RBN network as
I have had the odd request about doing something with it. In order to
assess the situation, I wrote a little program to gauge what the impact
might be if a node where to connect to the RDN and serve selected spots
locally - to be clear - I won't be distributing (even very filtered) RBN
spots unless there is a very clear mandate from the sysops for me to do
that. The idea is that sysops will decide whether to connect to RBN and
their users whether to opt in to receive them ([un]set/rbn).

If I do go forward with this, it will only happen on the development
branch ('mojo') and I intend that there will be some exclusive filtering
just for RBN spots (i.e. accept/rbn or accept/spot rbn) with a standard
default of something like "accept spots on hf and to/from this zone
to/from out of this zone" (a description, not a real filter line).

I would appreciate comments.

<flack jacket>
And I might do something with beacons and the WSPR network to distribute
some form of propagation info as well.
</flack jacket>

</tin hat>

73 & HNY Dirk G1TLH