[Dxspider-support] node & user information

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 12:09:27 GMT 2017

While I am in a development mood, I would like to address the issue of
node and user broadcasts. The question is this:

1. Do we need to know whether and where users are connected?

2. If yes to 1), do we need to know in (approximately) real time?

3. What about nodes?

The issues are that PC92 user and node connection information takes up
the majority of the bandwidth that DXSpider uses. I contend that it
would be cheaper to flood route talk messages and "personal" mail (if
anyone actually uses that any more) and switch off PC92 "add" (A) and
"delete" (D) messages than carry on as we are. That would leave us with
PC92 "config" (C) and "ident" (K) messages. Even C messages could be
dispensed with and user location inferred from other traffic (like
spots/chat/announces). Another option might be to only use A and D
messages for nodes.

Discuss

73 & HNY Dirk G1TLH