[Dxspider-support] Editing bands.pl

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 12:06:22 GMT 2018

Is it possible/permissible to take a copy of the bands.pl file that resides in /spider/data and
defines the frequency bands and modes recognised by DXSpider, to put the copy into
/spider/local and then to edit the local copy to suit specific needs?

Currently the bands.pl file defines the CW segment of the 12m band as extending up to
24920kHz; a friend of mine has a CW-only spot filter set but to his annoyance this results in
him receiving spots for FT8 stations on 24915kHz and he would also receive spots for JT65
stations on 24917kHz but there aren't many of those these days!

Ideally I'd like to have a version of the bands.pl file on my GB7DXC-5 node that more
accurately reflects the current IARU Region 1 bandplan, hence my question above.

I'll also be interested in knowing whether the bands.pl file is read once when DXSpider starts,
or if it's queried all the time - if the former happens then presumably any changes made to
the bands.pl file will require a restart of DXSpider to enable the changes to be brought into
force.

Finally, would it be permissible to include a new mode, titled for example 'wsjt', within the
bands.pl file so that a specific segment eg. 24915 to 24920kHz could be defined for the
FT/JT modes on each band?

--
73, Martin G0HDB

---