[Dxspider-support] Transer Registered Users

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 13:19:58 GMT 2018

The only things that are a issue when radically changing platforms (eg
Windows <-> linux or bigendian  <-> littleedian) may be binary
compatibility issues with the databases.

But the standard way to copy an instance of a node is simply to zip up
the old node's /spider/* and unzip it to your new machine in the correct
place (which in your case means making sure you are logged in to the
sysop user and you have done a successful "mkdir spider; sudo ln -s
~/spider /"

After that I would do this:

1. On the windows machine do a "export_users" to create an absolutely up
to date "user_asc" file - this is optional as there will already be one
that is no more than 7 days old and it won't have changed significantly
2. Recursively copy the contents of c:\spider\* to /spider/* on the RPi
as the sysop user. Probably the best way is to zip up the entire
directory and then (remembering to cd to the correct place) unzipping it
on the RPi.
3. cd /spider/data
4. rm dupefile qsl.v1 usdb.v1 users.v3
5. perl user_asc
6. /spider/perl/create_qsl.pl
7. cd /tmp; wget -qN ftp://ftp.w1nr.net/usdbraw.gz;
/spider/perl/create_usdb.pl usdbraw.gz

At this point you will have recreated your user file, qsl info file
(that is queried by sh/dxqsl <callsign>) and the usdb file.

8. Before you start this instance of the node, please review the
callsigns in /spider/local/DXVars.pm because you don't want both the
windows node and this one to clash. Change the SSID of $mycall and
$myalias so that you can run both in parallel. Once you have done this
run:  /spider/perl/update_sysop.pl. You can do this on either machine
but you will need to stop any running node first.

At this point you can start the node.

If all you want to do is recreate the databases, then stop the RPi
instance (if it's running) and then do actions 4->8 in the list above.

*NOTE*: (and this applies to all RPi nodes) The RPi uses a SD Card as
storage which is fine for experimentation, but utterly useless if you
intend to run the node for years (never mind more than a few months).
Apart from the fact that the SD card is slow -_*it is going to wear out*_.

If you want to run an RPi as a main node then get a usb connected hard
disk (a 2.5" 5400 rpm disk is fine) and use that instead. You will have
a much less eventful experience.

Dirk G1TLH