[Dxspider-support] 1. Cluster started hanging several times a day. (David Spoelstra)

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 00:02:38 CET 2019

As it happens, this has recently happened to GB7DJK as well. This is
what I (eventually) did to fix it:

1. stop the node
2. cd /spider/data
3. rm users.v3 qsl.v1 dupefile
4. perl user_asc
5. ../perl/create_qsl.pl
6. restart the node

There is a long standing issue with DX_File databases (which are really
Berkeley DB databases). These are notoriously finicky about only one
writer and being closed properly. This is why there is a method of
regenerating them. Now I don't know which of these got whacked (it's
usually the dupefile) but it is also possible that some operating system
system update  triggered it. I didn't discover which of them it was, but
since I have done these things I appear to be running normally again.

As an aside, several years ago, I did try using sqllite3 databases as
they seemed a possible way forward, but they turned out to be even more
unreliable. Perhaps I ought to try again now that sqlite3 has become a
sort of de facto standard for this sort of thing.

Dirk G1TLH