[Dxspider-support] filter question "user_default"

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 15:09:16 CET 2019

Saki

I'm sorry but I don't think I can do this. Also, I'm not at all
convinced that it's a good idea because filtering is not intuitive -
especially when layering one filter upon another.

I'm struggling to see a reason why you would want to control or even
influence what a user filters. I guarantee that users will want things
that you have applied filters to.

If you want to control what your node will allow (e.g. by_zone 2,3,4)
then the way to deal with that is with input filters or even better set
the (output) filters for your node on your feeder node (using e.g. rcmd
<feeder node callsign> accept/spot by_zone 2,3,4). This means that your
feeder nodes won't send you spots that you don't want. I believe this is
used a lot in the US. If you do this, you should still set an input
node_default filter to catch any ephemeral nodes that connect to you.

73 Dirk G1TLH