[Dxspider-support] Entity Code List

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Sep 3 14:34:32 CEST 2019

Then the history of that number might be interesting:

The wpxloc.raw file is a direct descendent of the original AK1A "Packet
Cluster" software. He was probably the first person to define a number
for this purpose, long before the DXCC committee decided to do such a
thing. In fact when Jim Reisert AD1C, the current maintainer of all the
various prefix lists, was discussing with me the incorporation of
wpxloc.raw  into a system that could generate all the various
prefix/country lists that logging or contest programs like CTY et al
use. He used his own internal numbering system. I did flirt with
changing to the same number or even real DXCC country number to
standardise, but wpxloc.raw always had many historical artefacts and
also the real DXCC number is/was not static. As countries came and went,
numbers would be re-used. This is no use to me as I have spots going
back to 1997, when I first started writing this software. In those days,
all I knew about was PacketCluster - I had been running a node for some
time. There was a perfectly decent list of prefixes from that software,
and was maintained (after a fashion), so I used that. For the same
reason many logging programs that have been written over the years use
cty.dat because that is what their authors were familiar with. These
days of course ADIF has come along and Jim has to keep both entitiy
numbers in a master list from which he generates the several
specifically formatted prefix lists that he publishes from time to
time.  But I shall continue to use the existing numbers until there is a
compelling reason to change.

It is important that you emphasis to your members the vital work that
Jim ADIC does for the Amateur Radio community. It affects every single
system that concerns or uses prefix / country data and without his work
we would all be in a muddle.

Dirk G1TLH