[Dxspider-support] user_default filter

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 12:29:02 CET 2020

Ah, more explanation required.

I was searching for a good word to use for illustrating what is going
on. I used 'slot'. This is not the 'slot' in the sense that you mean it.

For every thing you can create a filter for, there is a "socket" for
input and one for output (the help and user manual try to explain this
in more detail). So for example for spots there is 'spotfilter' (output)
and 'input_spotfilter' for input. The normal 'acc/spot on hf' that you
use, as well as the 'user_default' are both output filters because they
filter stuff before the output it to you (the user) _from_ the node. I
cannot see why a normal user would ever use an inpiut filter. These are
used exclusively to filter unwanted input data / protocol from other
nodes _into_ the node.

So, with that in mind, when you login as a user, one of the setup things
the login process does is to setup all the possible filters (spots,
announce, wcy, wwv, rbn etc etc). It checks in the following order
(using ladder logic - the first condition that matches sets up the
filter 'socket' and the stops looking for more options).

1, Has the user set a filter? If so, use that, then exit setup for that
filter.
2, Is there a user_default then use that and exit.
3. Use no filtering for that thing.

So if you do an "acc/spot on hf", you will have created a spot filter
file (in /spider/local_data/filters/spots/W1NR.pl), you can read it with
an editor - but PLEASE don't modify it (use the acc/* rej/* commands).
When you login, that is the spot filter that you will get, regardless of
whether a user_default exists or not.

If this is NOT the case. then please send me both your personal spot
file and also any user_default there might be.

73 Dirk G1TLH