[Dxspider-support] Init sequence with an isolated node

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 23:23:52 CET 2020

On 17/02/2020 21:47, IZ5FSA via Dxspider-support wrote:
> It's an old well known situation, I'm not surprised.
> Perl sockets seems to need some time to register true average rate
> starting to 999 default value.
> I think it may depends on system platform (OS drivers/modules) and
> Perl version, not from the code.
> 73 de Leo IZ5FSA
> MDXC#201 FT8MDC#7637
> QSL Bureau, Direct, ClubLog, LOTW, eQSL
> Il 17/02/2020 22:42, IK5ZUK Luigi ha scritto:
>> Hi Leo,
>> yes I've seen... and I'm very surprised !
>>
>> It's very strange because on my node I have marked as isolated two
>> other nodes (IK8HJC-6 running 0.82 and IK7NXU-6 running 0.203) and
>> with both when the link starts the Ave RTT is 999.00 (in both side),
>> after a few minutes the Ave RTT decrease to a normal value... I don't
>> know why... Hope Dirk can gives some help and check the code !
>>
>> Thank you Leo for your help !
>>
>> 73 Luigi IK5ZUK
Erm.. no.

If there is a problem, it is of my making. I do the timing in my code.
It's got nothing to with sockets, perl or otherwise. The usual reason
for 999 is that the other end it not sending PC51 replies OR (more
likely) the packets are not getting to the other end (or there is no
return path). Bare in mind that the network has multiple loops and
routed packets (like ping or rcmd) can get lost on the way. There can be
some other reasons that are to do with misconfiguration, but then it
probably won't work at all.

73 Dirk