[Dxspider-support] Incoming telnet connections getting blocked after about 30 minutes (G3YPP)

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:52:04 CEST 2020

On 1 Jul 2020 at 12:40, G3YPP via Dxspider-support wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> Thanks for the response.   My ISP is TalkTalk Business and they have
> confirmed that they don´t block any ports or services for business
> users.   Definitely a router firewall issue.
>
> I have sourced a Netgear Router and will give that a try.   I will
> also investigate OpenWRT.   Thanks for the steer.
>
> Regards
>
> Mike

Hi Mike, for what it's worth you might also want to take a look at Billion routers; I've used a
Billion 7800N for several years and it has always (touch wood!) behaved and performed
flawlessly.  I get a constant 22.2Mbps line sync speed on ADSL2+, which is faster than some
of my neighbours get with their poorly-engineered VDSL installations...  :-)

At the moment, the 7800N router is showing a 'system up-time' of just over 484days(!), and
the ADSL connection has been up for 25days 12hrs.  The only time I lose the ADSL
connection is when BT OpenReach do something in my local exchange, usually around
2:00am in the morning.

My ISP is Andrews & Arnold, who are UK-based.  I was with Demon (which eventually
became part of Vodafone) for >20yrs but they abandoned ADSL and wanted to put me onto
VDSL which I didn't want or need so I changed to A & A about 18mths ago.

Also, the port forwarding on the Billion 7800N is easy to  configure and understand; I've never
had an issue with access to my GB7DXC-5 DXSpider node either for users or for the links to
other nodes.

--
73, Martin G0HDB