[Dxspider-support] The RBN interface is here...

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 01:11:00 CEST 2020

Erm...

Not certain what you are counting (i.e. how much TCP protocol you are
adding in). A normal spot length (one that hasn't got a long frequency
or skimmer call, is 75 bytes, then add \r\n. A TCP header per spot is
another 40 bytes but, at full chat there will buffering so, on average,
TCP overhead will be less than that. Here are some numbers:

Hour

RBN In

Spots Out

Percentage

00:00

3378

269

  8.0%

01:00

7714

580

  7.5%

02:00

8611

661

  7.7%

03:00

7859

554

  7.0%

04:00

14192

796

  5.6%

05:00

6896

564

  8.2%

06:00

8198

669

  8.2%

07:00

6146

572

  9.3%

08:00

7536

742

  9.8%

09:00

8644

732

  8.5%

10:00

8783

733

  8.3%

11:00

19083

1335

  7.0%

12:00

120252

5389

  4.5%

13:00

116299

4994

  4.3%

14:00

113989

5072

  4.4%

15:00

113946

4975

  4.4%

16:00

116948

4891

  4.2%

17:00

122389

5145

  4.2%

18:00

129974

5395

  4.2%

19:00

138272

5566

  4.0%

20:00

150322

5524

  3.7%

21:00

142756

5137

  3.6%

22:00

145415

5109

  3.5%

23:00

146128

4961

  3.4%

00:00

131657

4781

  3.6%

01:00

124652

4630

  3.7%

02:00

126464

4703

  3.7%

03:00

121697

4386

  3.6%

04:00

121391

4183

  3.4%

05:00

113955

4188

  3.7%

06:00

100910

3936

  3.9%

07:00

91241

3845

  4.2%

08:00

96423

3903

  4.0%

09:00

108047

4264

  3.9%

10:00

122572

4709

  3.8%

11:00

129074

5040

  3.9%

12:00

9583

709

  7.4%

13:00

8209

765

  9.3%

14:00

10739

1019

  9.5%

15:00

9875

936

  9.5%

16:00

9557

914

  9.6%

17:00

11926

1071

  9.0%

18:00

12970

1096

  8.5%

19:00

15086

1222

  8.1%

20:00

14340

1043

  7.3%

This is from some stats for the CW Skimmer that  I collected in DXSpider
over this weekend (so far).  The "spots out" figure is the number of
spots that I have left after I have done my de-duping thing. A user will
get only that number if they have asked for all spots and have no
filters. So, in principle, each user could get the full "spots out"
number. Most people will likely have some kind of by_zone filter on. But
I can't give any likely numbers, this time, because the number DXSpider
users receiving were not large enough to get a meaningful feel of how
well it is likely to cope, but there does not seem to be any obvious
difference in CPU between no RBN and RBN+2/3 users, I am reasonably
confident that it will cope.

But I was curious as to how many I could stuff through - unoptimised.
So I did some benchmarking.

So analysing today's debug file and extracting just the CW Skimmer's RBN
spots with 100 simulated users being sent the curated spots gives:

***
*** Totals: raw = 1882260, candidates = 539920, delivered = 76926,
percentage of raw delivered =   4.087%
***
*** Total  elapsed time = 90.18 secs for RBN activity of any kind, each
delivery to 100 users = 0.001172 secs or 853 / sec
***

It's a bit optimistic but not by too much. It should cope with 42 / sec
at the peak. But I *still* think that it is an egregious waste of
bandwidth just to get 4% "useful" (contest) data. I am also musing to
myself: what happens if most of the DXSpider nodes start sucking data
from the RBN? I am guessing that they will be running out of NIC
bandwidth with another 150 or so DXSpider nodes (out of ~250 odd). At my
estimate of 77 bytes (not including TCP overhead) that's 4+GB (that's B,
not b) altogether with 200 other users. That's 5 10Gb NICs bonded
together into a router, in turn connected to quite a fast pipe to the
Internet, even by today's standards :-) I'd love to see the AWS bill.

I enclose the csv for your Excel manipulating pleasure (or some other
competent spreadsheet program [amongst which LibreOffice does NOT figure]).

Dirk