[Dxspider-support] RPI 4 settings for reduced writes to SD card

Phil M0VSE phil at m0vse.uk
Mon Mar 30 14:56:38 CEST 2020

Hi Mike.

I run a few repeaters on RPi and use a similar process to the one described here https://medium.com/@andreas.schallwig/how-to-make-your-raspberry-pi-file-system-read-only-raspbian-stretch-80c0f7be7353

Basically the SD card is in read-only mode the majority of the time and all logging etc., is done to RAM disk. The downside is that logs are lost after a reboot but you could always have a script that copies them somewhere periodically. In 2+ years of running repeaters this way, I have never needed to though. I also only ever use high-endurance cards from decent manufacturers!

You will likely want to do this for /spider/data though so any data isn’t lost between reboots.

Another option that I have also used is a Pi Desktop case https://www.pcworld.com/article/3197985/the-pi-desktop-kit-transforms-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-stylish-ssd-powered-mini-pc.html this allows you to install an mSATA SSD which you can then install Rapsbian on. It has the added benefit that typically mSATA drives are significantly faster than most SD cards.

73 Phil M0VSE