[Dxspider-support] sh/dxcc 666

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Nov 1 22:42:24 CET 2020

On 01/11/2020 07:01, JMarcio S via Dxspider-support wrote:
> Hi Dirk and all
> could you check if there is a bug please?
>
> sh/dxcc 666 and then show TX0T, only in the mojo version.  4U75UN also
> spotdxcc = 666.

Country 666 is necessary within the code to mark a callsign as unknown
or 'P1RATE'.

> I found 666 in the wpxloc.raw file but nothing to point to TX0T.  666=
> used to pirate?  This causes errors in my app because 666 is not valid
>  dxcc #.

The country numbers in wpxloc.raw were invented by AK1A for his original
"PacketCluster" DOS software. As new countries have come along, new
numbers have been added. Some of the countries in wpxloc.raw no longer
exist in the real world, but they live on in wpxloc.raw so that - should
anyone be interested - spots from 1997 can still be searched and
otherwise processed.

Any resemblance between a country number in wpxloc.raw and numbers that
DXCC use is a coincidence and you *_should not_* use wpxloc.raw country
numbers for any other purpose other than processing DXSpider (and
earlier AK1A) spot files.

I DO NOT MAINTAIN wpxloc.raw. Jim Reisert AD1C maintains a database of
special callsigns, prefixes and countries. He generates prefix files
(like cty.dat and wpxloc.raw - but there are many others) and issues
them from time to time. He notifies all interested parties (including
this mailing list) whenever he issues a new release.

The mojo branch allows all sysops to track cty.dat and wpxloc.raw
locally on their system. This means that most sysops use one mechanism
or another to download these two files to /spider/local_data and  then
run create_prefix.pl and, afterwards, do a 'load/prefix'. This means
that I don't have to keep absolutely up to date any more - although I
generally do update the prefixes if I am doing development work.

So, if anyone believes that there is a new prefix out there, then please
email Jim AD1C - politely - as he does this out of the goodness of heart.

73 Dirk G1TLH