[Dxspider-support] recorey of user data

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 23:41:57 CEST 2020

The correct thing to do is copy the old spider tree to the new one.

Assuming that you are using the 'sysop' and the spider tree is at
/home/sysop/spider on both machines do this and I shall use the
hostnames 'old' and 'new'. You should substitute these hosts to make it
work for you:

login/ssh to 'new' as sysop
check that you have installed 'rsync'; if not then install it.

mv spider spider.mojo
rsync -avz old:spider .     # the lack of any / characters, don't forget
to substitute the correct hostname for 'old'

wait until that is finished. There may be errors.

cd spider/data
rm users.v3 qsl.v1
perl user_asc

cd ..
rm -rf .git
cp -a ../spider.mojo/.git .
git reset --hard

cd perl
./cluster.pl

with a following wind that should just spring into life...

If not get back to me off list and I will try to help you out further.

But in general terms, if one wants move a spider installation to another
machine, just copy the spider tree across to the new machine. If you
want to upgrade it (on either branch) do that AFTER you have copied the
tree (or as much as will go).

It is important to rebuild the user file from a known good user_asc as
this a major source of problems; which will hopefully happen much less
frequently now that we are using JSON, rather than Storable as the
serialisation mechanism.

Dirk