[Dxspider-support] user.asc size ?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 22:30:35 GMT 2021

On 02/12/2021 19:22, Tim Tuck via Dxspider-support wrote:
> How my users.v3 turned into the "file of death" is a mystery.

Ah, I can help you there: it's Storable (the standard perl serialiser).
It occasionally gets it wrong and then goes mental either on the way out
(freeze) or, more often, on the way in again (thaw),. This happens on
rare occasions and this is why there is a user_asc version of the
users.v3 file. This is also why  I now use json on the mojo branch. It
has the side benefits of being significantly quicker; producing smaller
user files as well as ascii represention in 'user_json'. I have yet to
do a "restore from user_json" on GB7DJK for a  freeze/thaw "corruption".
I finally discovered just how flaky Storable is when I used it as the
(default) serialisation mechanism for communicating with sub processes
for things like sh/dx in the mojo branch.

73 Dirk G1TLH